January 20, 2009

Opening Post

Time for Reading

I have been blessed with time for reading. Every work day I ride the Virginia Railway Express train, which leaves me with over 100 minutes to do as I please. Sometimes this involves winning medium-level scrabble on my phone, sometimes it involves proof-reading my own reports for work, often it involves anti-social sleeping in the quiet car, but most often it involves reading. During the 5 or so weeks I travel out of the year, I am also reading during the latter two meals (I browse a complimentary USA today during breakfast).

These pieces of time have allowed me to read through piles of books. My only discernable method in choosing a book was to pick something heavy/lengthy and then follow with something light, or something I've read before. Books are rarely personally recommend to me, so typically I will head to the book store and buy books from authors I already know and love. This exhaustive technique will only leave me with very specific tastes and knowledge.

Pulitzer Prize

I don't have a great reason for choosing the Pulitzer Prize. I think it sprung to mind because Roger Ebert has one. I wanted to be able to read through many years of award winning literature (fiction) and it seemed a good fit. I am sure there more prestigious prizes out there that have been awarded for more than 90 years, but would they allow me to use a pun in my blog title?

Blog Title

The nearly-unpronounceable blog title comes from the band Los Campesinos! who qualify for the fastest Leah and I have heard of a band, liked them a lot, and seen them in concert (less than a month). Leah tries to add "and got sick of," but we're both still fans. I can't vouch for the staying power, but the excitement and craziness of the song below should still resonate with me for years to come.



Should I Buy You Another Bookshelf?

I will be getting the majority of my books from our local library. I already know they don't have all of them, so I will then check the not-so-local ones, then the used book stores, then the new book stores. Maybe even a friend will lend me theirs. We don't really have room for another bookshelf.

My Year(s) in Litzs

The math of this blog will always be off. I will never finish 90 or so books in a year. Each book will take me 2 to 3 weeks, so it will be a matter of years before this blog is complete.

Blogging Goals

When I completed one song for my friend Tyler Smith's yet-made movie Sad Christmas, he said he liked it because it sounded particularly American. If I had to define what "American" meant for literature, I would be at a slight loss. I hope that by reading through 90 years of American novels I will be able to have a very clear definition. I look forward to reading authors I haven't heard of and expand those forementioned horizons to include what they have to teach.

The biggest goal, however, will be to actually complete this blog. I will read all the books, to be sure, but I hope I can keep this essay plate spinning until the end of the show.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I think this blog is an awesome idea. I'll be happy to check in on it for your reviews and hopefully some good book suggestions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete